Buying a mountain bike under $500 budget can be difficult. There are a lot of decisions, beyond any doubt, yet how would you know whether you’re getting the most value for your money? We’re available to help.
Mountain bikes that fall inside a five hundred dollar spending plan are shockingly high nowadays. With enormous brand names hoping to oblige the necessities of novice mountain bikers, there’s been a significant increment in quality in this range.
Regardless of whether you’re purchasing your first mountain bike or searching for an update from an ever less expensive bike, there’s something here that’s bound to catch your eye. We research online and offline market price and make a perfect and affordable bike list for you have a look and complete your purchase.
The 10 Best Mountain Bikes under $500 in 2023
- Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike – Featuring Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike with Disc Brakes, Shimano Shifting, Aluminum Frame.
- Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike – Featuring 29er hardtail frame, Mechanical disc brakes, Brake Levers: Shimano EF-51, emphasis on control and speed.
- Raleigh Talus 2 Recreational Mountain Bike – Featuring 27.5- inch aluminum frame, 3030 Suspension Fork, 27.5″ wheels with wide 2 inch tires, 24 Speeds.
- Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike – Featuring Aluminum Frame, 26-Inch Wheels, Color Red, 24-speed, EF-50 trigger shifters, Front disc brake.
- RALEIGH Tekoa 29er Mountain Bike – Featuring Trails Sizing: s=5’3″-5’6, 29 inch 100mm fork, Altus 24 SPD shifters, 29 x 2.2-inch tires, 24 speeds.
- Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s Mountain Bike – Featuring Shimano components, 27 variable speeds, an SR Suntour fork, an aluminum frame, and Tektro disc brakes.
- Aluminum Gravity Monster Mens Mountain Bike – Featuring Wide 26 x 4.0-inch Tires, Aluminum Fat Bike, Micro Adjust SP-214 400mm.
- Schwinn S29 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike – Featuring 18Inch/Medium Aluminum Frame, 29-Inch Wheels with Mechanical Disc Brakes, 21-Speed Shimano Drivetrain.
- Mongoose Men’s Malus Fat Tire Mountain Bike – Featuring 7-Speed drivetrain with Shimano rear, Classy 4 inch wide tires, Shimano 7-speed, 2.5’’ low-rise handlebars.
- Schwinn Protocol 2.7 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike – Featuring with Aluminum Frame, 27.5-Inch Wheels, Matte Blue, 21 versatile speed, Quick release lever.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars!
1. Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual – Full Suspension Mountain Bike
The Gravity FSX, 1.0 dual full suspension mountain bike, is excellent for entry-level, dual suspension bike that comes well under $500 price tag.
Manufactured in Taiwan, this bike can draw the spotlights of the riders with its unique features. With Strong and Light Double Wall Rims, Quick Release Wheels – Front and Rear.
Produced with the best components, this bike has a lot more to offer in terms of features and benefits.
Features of Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension MTB:
- Easy to Use Shimano Shifters.
- Sturdy and durable hydroformed aluminum frames.
- High-performance tetra novella mechanical disc brake.
- Enhanced maneuverability.
- Comes in a variety of light colors and sizing.
- High-quality aluminum alloy Seat post.
- 26 inches Double Wall Alloy Wheel.
- Adjustable Front and Rear Suspension.
- Strong and Light Double Wall Rims.
The 2023 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike comes handy with its double suspension feature coupled with a positive and durable frame with this mountain bike under $500. It is made with quality components and excellent design which add to overall performance.
2. Diamondback Overdrive 29 – Hardtail Mountain Bike
Great for cross country, The Overdrive 29er features large 29″ wheels and a 100mm Suntour fork. Frame: Overdrive 29″ Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum, forged dropouts w/replaceable hanger, disc only Fork: 28.6mm stanchions Cranks: SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge F.
Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail is another excellent mountain bike under 500 dollars. This MTB is a popular choice for entry-level and mid-level riders.
These bikes have Suspension fork provides added control and comfort on the trail. Its great features and specifications put it in the list of the popular choice of passengers.
Features of Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail MTB:
- Shipped 95 percent assembled, so hardly any tension of assembly.
- Reliable, Sturdy, and lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum alloy 29er hardtail frame.
- Shimano TX50 front derailleur provides smooth, constant shifting.
- Shimano Acer 8-speed rear derailleur offers a wide variety of the speed.
- High-Performance SR Suntour suspension fork absorbs all types of shocks.
- Reliable rear dropout made with changeable derailleur hanger makes it safe and secure.
- Kenda Honey Badger 29×2.2″ tires provide plenty of traction to ride smoothly over any terrain.
- Tektro mechanical disc brakes with 160/180 mm rotors provide ultimate stopping power at any conditions.
It would be a great starter bike for those who are just debuting in the sport. It has some caveats. You may want a new paddle and probably wheels within a year. Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail is another mountain bikes under $500; they should not be a headache for you in the upcoming year.
3. Raleigh Talus 2 – Recreational Mountain Bike
Established in 1887, Raleigh has been manufacturing quality mountain bikes at most affordable prices for the riders as well as the sports lovers for nearly one and a half century. When it comes to consumer satisfaction with an affordable price tag, then Raleigh hardly has any other competitor in the market.
It makes them a well-respected cycling brand in both the USA and Worldwide. Raleigh Bikes Talus 2 Recreational MTB is an example of their high-quality offerings with low prices.
If you crave quality and style and love the upright feel of a mountain bike, but does not intend to spend 500$, then consider the Raleigh Talus 2. At home on dirt, gravel, and pavement, this MTB will keep your adventure running.
Features of Raleigh Talus 2 Recreational MTB:
- 27.5- inch, 6061 Custom Butted high profile Aluminium frame.
- General sizing matching with riders’ heights: XS=5′-5’3″, S=5’3″-5’6″, M=5’6″-5’9″, L=5’9″-6′, XL=6′-6’4″.
- Shimano Tourney front derailleur and Shimano Altus rear derailleur.
- SR Sun tour 3030 Suspension Fork to absorb all shocks.
- Shimano Altus 3×8 speed shifter provides smooth gear shifting.
- Quality Shimano Cranks.
- 27.5″ wheels with wide 2 inch tires to roll fast, smooth and confidently on all terrains.
- Alloy V- brake to provide crisp stopping at all conditions.
Considering the features, pros and cons, Raleigh Bikes Talus 2 Recreational Mountain Bike is an excellent choice for the price. Overall, it is affordable as well as quality MTB. If you like to purchase a quality mountain bike under $500, then this one is right for you.
4. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 – Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike is a reasonable choice for bikers who love to venture in the mountains. It is a good quality Mountain Bike under $500.
This dual suspension mountain bike is designed to offer you the best experience when biking through mountainous areas as well as all other terrains. Its excellent features and specification will not let you realize that it is a cheap MTB which comes way under 500 bikes.
This 26er is perfect for all bikers looking for an adventurous experience in outdoor challenges. The dual suspension provides smooth rides, and Shimano trigger shifters allow quick, precise and continuous gear changes.
Features of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Dual-Suspension MTB:
- High-quality Schwinn aluminum full suspension frame supported by a steel rear triangle with a front suspension fork for comfortable riding.
- Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters together with the Shimano Altus rear derailleur provide smooth shifting and first gear changing.
- Shimano rear derailleur offers smooth and easy shifting.
- Front disc brake and rear alloy V-brake combine for a crisp stoppage in terrains.
- Light and stiff alloy rims support 26-inch tires for the comfortable riding experience.
- Schwinn alloy crank supports optimal gearing.
- Front disc brake.
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike is a perfect bike for beginners who want to purchase Quality Mountain bikes under 500 dollars.
It has a few cons, but they should not undermine the pros. If you like, you may fine-tune them for some bucks which would be surely worth the money.
5. RALEIGH Tekoa – 29er Mountain Bike
One of the most classic instances of the high-quality offerings of Raleigh is the Tekoa Mountain Bike. If you are an adventure-loving person who likes to explore off-road areas as well as rocky terrains.
Then the Tekoa Mountain Bike would surely offer you an enjoyable experience. The highlights of this rugged, Hardtail bike are the latest design, Light Aluminium frame, and long lasting SR Sun tour XCM fork.
Durable Weismann U28 double wall wide rims and powerful TektroAuriga hydraulic disc brake. These make this bike a perfect choice for intermediate bikers.
Features of RALEIGH Tekoa 29er MTB:
- Comes in different sizes matching with riders heights- s=5’3″-5’6″, m=5’6″-5’9″, l=5’9″-6′, XL=6′-6’4″.
- Classy design and excellent Built quality for cross Country riding on single-track trails.
- Made with premium quality, lightweight AL-6061 custom butted aluminium frame which can withstand heavy pressure.
- Constructed with Front and rear Shimano Altus 24 SPD shifters and TektroAuriga hydraulic disc brakes for smooth stopping whenever and wherever required.
- 29 x 2.2-inch wide Kenda Honey badger tires for rolling over any trails with ease and comfort.
This is not a racing bike. You are not likely to get a racing bike in this price range. As you have read, it comes partially assembled. With a few cons, this bike still comes handy. They can be fine-tuned with some bucks.
6. Mongoose TYAX Comp – Men’s Mountain Bike
Mongoose produce quality, high-end bikes for the riders in the affordable price range. The Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s mountain bike is a classic example of their innovations. It is perfect for average riders.
It is the first bike that comes within the 500 USD price range. This hard tail bike is suitable for everyday use- commuting and leisure rides. Mongoose XC aluminium hard tail frame with SR Suntour XCT V3 HLO w/100 mm travel and hydraulic lockout to provide a comfortable riding.
Features of Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s MTB:
- Comes in two sizings matching with riders’ heights- 16’’/small and 20’’/large .
- Classy Shimano 27 speed drive train with durable Shimano Acera rear derailleur, XTR front derailleur, Shimano Acera trigger shifters & KMC X9 9 speed chain.
- Alloy wheels including Alex Ace24 double wall 32 hole rims.
- TektroNovela mechanical disc brakes w/160 mm rotors on the front & rear allow smooth stoppage at uneven terrains.
- Kenda small block eight 26’’x 2.1’’ tires to roll over all obstacles on the way.
- Excellent quality and comfortable Mongoose alloy Platform pedal and Mongoose MTB Trail saddle.
After analyzing the features, pros, and cons, it leads to an only conclusion that Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s Mountain Bike is an excellent mountain bike in the given price tag.
7. Aluminum Gravity Monster – Men’s Mountain Bike
The freshest pattern inside the mountain biking world as of now. Fat bikes are difficult to miss. Their Gravity, “fat” tires move over for all intents and purposes anything, which makes them a fantastic winter method of transportation.
Goliath tires more manage in free conditions. Wide tires “Stream” over snow and sand… the quickest bikes you’ll have the capacity to ever ride on mud, lowlands, deep sand and snow.
As a little something extra, they are super grin generators. What amount does it gauge? These are huge and Big FUN. Enormous gauges more.
So much standard fat bikes weigh between around 30 and 40 pounds. What amount do these gauge? Analyze specs; fat aluminium bikes with same parts will weigh about the comparative.
Features of Aluminum Gravity Monster Mens MTB:
- High Traction Super Wide 26 x 4.0 inch Tires offer a comfortable ride over all terrains.
- Comes in multiple attractive colors.
- Sturdy Aluminum Fat Bike.
- Robust and high profile Tektro Disc brakes front and rear.
- Advanced 16 Speed Sram Drivetrain Components.
- Micro Adjust SP-214 400mm, Alloy Seatpost.
- Double walled Aluminum alloy Rims support knobby tires for smooth rides.
After analyzing the features, pros, and cons, it leads to an only conclusion that Aluminium Fat Bikes with Powerful Disc Brakes Gravity Monster Men’s Fat mountain bike is the first mountain bike under $500.
8. Schwinn S29 – Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
The S29 Mountain Bike from Schwinn is the absolute perfect bike to go out and conquer the trails on. Equipped with a sturdy Schwinn aluminium dual-suspension frame featuring a front suspension rear shock and fork, every trail is now in play.
This Mountain Bike has Alloy 29 rims to roll over obstacle easily, 21-Speed Shimano Drive train, Glossy Black.
Schwinn S29 full suspension 29″ Wheel Full Suspension mountain bike is an excellent option for entry-level riders who are looking for a traditional one. Its exceptional design, along with excellent built quality is ready to draw the attention of the bikers.
Features of Schwinn S29 Dual-Suspension MTB:
- Schwinn aluminum 29r full suspension frame with SR Suntour suspension fork for controlled riding.
- The SRAM 3.0 rear derailleur combined with SRAM 3.0 21 speed trigger shifting provide ultimate shifting for quick gear changes.
- Front & rear disc brakes offer reliable stopping power in any condition.
- High profile SR Suntour 3 piece alloy cranks supports the 29 x 2.0-inch tire for optimal gearing.
- Alloy 29 rims to roll over obstacle easily.
- Adjustable quick release seat post.
This bike has some cons, but they should not overpower the pros of this beautiful bike presents. With such a low price, this versatile bike is a reasonable choice for beginners.
9. Mongoose Men’s Malus – Fat Tire Mountain Bike
Mongoose has always been a desired brand for the riders with products that push the limits of what a rider can do. It is not possible for a brand to keep their reputation up for nearly half a century without producing quality bikes.
Mongoose Men’s Malus Fat Tire Bicycle is the newest iteration of Mongoose in the field of a mountain bike. It comes way mountain bike under $500 with some of the best features and benefits that one would expect in a price way higher than that.
This fat bike is manufactured with a simple concept. Most of the body parts are made of aluminium, so there is no question of compromise in strength and durability.
Features of Mongoose Men’s Malus Fat Tire MTB:
- Heavy duty Steel Cruiser frames.
- The Supersized 26’’ x 4” knobby tires with drilled alloy rims to good roll over the toughest terrains.
- Classy 4 inch wide tires absorb almost every shock to allow the rider to ride seamlessly anywhere.
- Shimano 7-speed rear derailleur provides smooth gearing.
- 2.5’’ low-rise handlebars with 7-speed twist shifters for smooth shifting between gears.
- Three piece cranks to support the tires against rough terrains.
- Comfortable Mountain-style saddle.
- Quality beach cruiser pedals.
After looking at all features, pros, and cons, it should be unbiased to say that it’s a pretty average MTB. This male bike is better for regular commuting and spending leisure, not for racing or steep mountain riding.
10. Schwinn Protocol 2.7 – Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
Schwinn is one of the oldest and famous brands amongst the bikers. Established in 1895 in Chicago, They have been innovating designs and styles to match bikers’ choices at affordable price range since the last century.
One of the latest additions to their innovation is Schwinn Protocol 2.7 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike. It is produced to change your riding protocol with its full suspension and 27.5- inch wheels.
This dual suspension mountain bike sports an aluminum frame with a high profile Schwinn suspension fork for absorbing all the bumps in your trails. Its reliable disc brakes will not let you feel the jerks when you press the brakes.
Features of Schwinn Protocol 2.7 Dual-Suspension MTB:
- High-class Schwinn aluminum dual suspension frame and robust Schwinn suspension fork provide a durable and comfortable riding experience.
- 21-Speed Shimano EZ-Fire trigger shifters along with Shimano rear derailleur enables the biker to change gears with utmost ease and quickness.
- Long-lasting Schwinn alloy cranks provide smooth gearing.
- Excellent quality double wall alloy rims, light and stiff for added durability.
Considering its pros and cons, it is a preferable choice in the standard price range with only under $500.This bike is incredible with useful features.
However, If you are not ready to spend 500 dollars at this moment? We have another couple of excellent mountain bikes those are more affordable like under $300 or under $200. Check out a couple of affordable alternative options for you the best mountain bikes under $300 or best mountain bikes under $200 from our blog.